Machiavellianism – Becoming “The Prince”
“Many writers have dreamed up republics and kingdoms that bear no resemblance to experience and never existed in reality; there is such a gap between how people actually live and how they ought to live that anyone who declines to behave as people do, in order to behave as they should, is schooling himself for catastrophe and had better forget personal security: if you always want to play the good man in a world where most people are not good, you’ll end up badly. Hence, if a ruler wants to survive, he’ll have to learn to stop being good, at least when the occasion demands.”
I put a disclaimer in the beginning of the 48 Laws of Power article, due to the fact that “morally” speaking people get offended and outspoken about the methods used in obtaining power in a social setting, business relationship or what have you. Words and phrases like “not fair” and “unethical” get thrown around, which hardly bares any resemblance to the reality of the fact that there really is no such thing as “fair”. We evolved from primitive cavemen who had no concept of fair, and only an instinct for survival. That same blood courses through our veins, and although many of us do think more consciously and attempt to act in a responsible manner, human beings are hard wired for self-interest, as it is a dumbed down version of our “survival gene”. You cannot escape the biology and neurology of it.
In laymens terms, people don’t give a flying fuck about you and your pursuits in the grand scheme of things. People act out of self – interest, and disguise it as other things to stroke their guilt or ego. People who exhibit dark triad personalities (machiavellianism, psychopathy, and narcissism) have been well documented to be more successful in terms of material gain, and appeasing their desires. Modelling oneself after these individuals with a bit of discretion and tact will act as rocket fuel to your “accumulation of assets”.
Machiavellianism – The Highest Form of Creativity
Machiavellianism is essentially the employment of strategic deceit and cunning for one’s own personal gain. This may include, lying, pitting people against each other, manipulation, smoke and mirror tactics etc.
Everyone has machiavellianistic traits in them to differing degrees as a baseline. You can find out your baseline by taking a pretty simple online test called the “Mach – IV” which will give you a percentile score based on others who have taken the test. One who generally exercises more mindfulness, and morality about situations are generally less “mach” than people who have few to no morals.
The exception are the machs who use machiavellianism in the same way robin hood steals from the rich and gives to the poor. These individuals reverse engineer the traits of machs, and use it against percieved ones who are in it for personal gain, to prevent them from manipulating, and deceiving.
Becoming a Mach is ultimately the highest form of creativity. Once you understand the nuances and intricacies of it, research your psychology, practice it in real time situations and make tweaks accordingly whilst pursuing the avenues that open as you learn, you are literally molding people to act according to your needs whilst either appeasing, attacking, or manipulating them. It is the greatest form of “pulling the wool” over someone’s eyes.
One wave of your mach strategy may be getting someone to do a small favor for you. Judging by the resistance or lack there of to doing that favor, follow up with a larger favor request whilst stroking their ego or hitting an insecurity. The psychology in this being once someone does a favor for you, no matter how big or small, they are more susceptible to doing another one in a small time frame. Mix that with some validating remarks, or fear tactics you make that individual malleable to demands. Once you get what you need, deem if that relationship is worthy of keeping around, or disposable and act accordingly. Rid yourself of morality by looking at it as a game of human chess, where everyone is your pawn, and you their king. Every interaction is based on its “stock value” and potential returns and not based on creating anything of depth (although you will make it seem so) . People are used as a means to an end.
Skills Required to “Up your Mach”
- This is essentially awareness and controlling of ones emotions. Strategically there are situations where you may want to portray being an emotional wreck, and very volatile, but for the most part having a good grip on your emotions paired with holding frame is very magnetizing.
- Reading body language and emotions via very little cues. Reading the little nuances in the way people act based on your assessment of their personalities can tell you a lot about that person. The best way to practice this is people watching (Sit around at a mall, walk in the park) and to have diverse social circles of friends (Introverts, extroverts, jocks, nerds, everything in between). Notice how people act, react, and what makes them tick. Notice their age, gender, what they wear, how they scan their environment, walk, talk, and interact with others. Find common denominators and “mentally download” the personality that they would gravitate towards and emulate it with others of similar mentalities and predispositions.
- True Machs who are born very high on the mach scale tend to not exhibit a higher than normal intelligence level, and on some levels a lower level of emotional intelligence (probably due to the unawareness that they are infact Machiavellian). We however are not inherently Mach, but we are trying to emulate it by dissecting the pieces and and using the skill-sets to become actors on the stage of interpersonal/business/etc relations. This takes intelligence in the form of breaking down a personality trait that may not be inherently genetic/normal to you and weaponizing it by using it in certain situations via your discretion. This takes intelligence and the ability to craft different personas, stories, and the ability to use the information we get in an cost benefit analysis framework.
- Charisma, charm and energy are very magnetizing. Speaking with conviction especially if you are flat out bullshitting, is important as is not saying too much at certain times. Mach types who miss out on certain opportunities sometimes become unaware, and reveal too much and end up fucking up, making their intentions known,and polarizing people in the process. Be selective about when to engage in situations, and when you should shut the fuck up.
- Boldness trumps rationality. If you want a clean example of this look at Donald Trump. He might actually be president in 2016 and the one thing i’ll give him is that he is bold and sticks to his guns. He says some of the most retarded shit I’ve ever heard within the realm of politics, yet he says it with no filter and with a fierceness. Boldness trumps substance in most situations and helps build the illusion of control and power, even if you are severely deficient in it.
Knowledge is never inherently bad or good. The user is the one who has the choice to use or not use anything that he is exposed to. Machiavellianism will probably not make you a happier, “better” human being, or get you a nobel peace prize. The name of the game though is life and sometimes you have to exercise all the resources you have at your disposal to get ahead. Reading through you may catch yourself saying “I’d never do that to anyone, this is sadistic” or “My morality super cedes superficial materialistic gain” but survival and ascending to “riches” or “success” is predicated on the fact that you have to believe most people think like a chess-master, at the very least as a defense from becoming ensnared by these individuals. Sure there are “moral” ways to go about amassing resources, wealth, social connections and power, but there’s no doubt that more millionaires, and powerful individuals have been made through immoral means. After all, that Nike shirt you are wearing was most likely made by a laborer who makes 10 cents an hour. You can preach about morality when you sell everything, take a vow of silence and move to the Himalayas.
Eat or be eaten.